cPanel, the makers of the most popular web-based server control panel software, which is a licensed product, was recently acquired by a venture capital firm, Oakley Capital. The same venture capital firm https://oakleycapital.com/ recently acquired ownership of similar industry software products including Plesk, WHMCS, and SolusVM. Shortly after taking ownership of Plesk and WHMCS, these companies announced new package structures including massive pricing increases.
As of September 1st, 2019 Oakley Capital by way of cPanel’s executive team, are making similar changes to cPanel license costs and package structures. Historically, cPanel has based its services and pricing around a VPS or Dedicated license with Unlimited cPanel Accounts. Beginning in September, cPanel has announced that licensing will now be account based by the number of domains within a given account.
The new pricing structure will be as follows:
- cPanel Admin Cloud (up to 5 Accounts) $15.95/month
- cPanel Pro Cloud (up to 30 Accounts) $22.95/month
- cPanel Plus Cloud (up to 50 Accounts) $29.95/month
- cPanel Premier Cloud/Dedicated Server (up to 100 Accounts **) $39.95/month
- Each account will have the ability to host an unlimited number of domains.
- Each month, your license costs will be adjusted based on your usage.
- Addon/Sub/Parked domains within the same account remain no additional cost.
If you are looking for an alternative to cPanel, you can consider switching to Direct Admin. Direct Admin is a relatively lightweight control panel that supports Linux. It has all of the basic features of a control panel, including support for multi-customer setups. All of the licenses are “unlimited domain” licenses. Direct Admin offers 3 access levels: Admin, Reseller, User.
- Server administrators can click the "licensing / updates" button to view the current license and version status. There is no need to manually download, extract, and install – Direct Admin performs all updates automatically.
- Direct Admin is designed to be as unique as your business. Every aspect of the Direct Admin interface can be changed, and new designs are easily imported through the "skins" menu.
- There is no limit to the number of domains or user accounts that can be hosted with Direct Admin.
- Site-Helper is designed to help you and your customers use Direct Admin. Direct Admin provides full instructions on every Direct Admin feature, along with plenty of pictures and examples.
-Direct Admin Dedicated server – unlimited domains is $19.95/m
-Direct Admin Cloud/VPS server – unlimited domains is $9.95/m